Ready for an amazing low carb chicken casserole recipe? This one takes a bit of time, but boy is it worth it! As a ketoer who is challenged with feeding a family of non-ketoers, I have to get creative when it comes to cooking!
This low carb chicken casserole is made in four steps. First, you will need start the chicken boiling on the stove. Since the cheese sauce takes about 15 mins to prepare, you’ll want to do that next. While the sauce is cooking down, it’s a good time to microwave the riced cauliflower and, in this case, the frozen broccoli. The final step involves putting it all together and throwing it in the oven for a bit.
Don’t worry, once you’ve made it one time, it gets super easy. Not to mention the directions are pretty well laid out in the next section. Now, get ready for some keto awesomeness!
Four Cheese Low Carb Chicken Casserole
Only 5.6 Net Carbs per Serving!
2 tbsp Unsalted Butter
2 cups Heavy Cream
½ cup Parmesan Cheese
4 Slices Provolone Cheese
¼ Sharp Cheddar Cheese
¼ tsp Sea Salt
¼ tsp Black Pepper
½ tsp Garlic Powder
1 tbsp Dried Parsley
2 oz Sour Cream
4 cups Broccoli
8 cups Plain Riced Cauliflower ( I use Green Giant Frozen Riced Cauliflower)
1 ½ Pounds Boneless Chicken Breast
¾ cup Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Step #1 - Chicken
- Add thawed chicken breast to a large pot of boiling water.
- Boil at medium to high temperature until cooked through, about 20-25 minutes. TIP: By cutting the chicken breasts in half, you can reduce the total cook time by 5-10 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the water and using two forks, shred the chicken on a plate or in a large bowl.
Step #2 - Cheese Sauce
- While the chicken is boiling, add the butter, heavy cream and parmesan to a new 2 quart pot.
- Bring it to a slow boil over medium heat, stirring frequently to prevent burning.
- Add salt, pepper, garlic and parsley.
- Fold in the provolone cheese until blended.
- Melt in the sharp cheddar cheese.
- Simmer for a total of 15 minutes. This will reduce the sauce 25%-30%, thickening it up.
- Remove the sauce from the burner and stir in the sour cream. Set aside.
Step #3 - Veggie Preparation
- While the chicken is boiling and the cheese sauce is simmering I cook the riced cauliflower (2 bags) in the microwave, per the instructions.
- Add frozen broccoli to a microwave safe bowl with ½ cup of water.
- Cook 7-10 minutes until done but still firm (cooking time may vary depending on the microwave)
Step #4 - Casserole
- In a large casserole dish or lasagna pan, mix the chicken, riced cauliflower and broccoli together.
- Pour cheese sauce over the chicken and veggies and mix well.
- Spread the mozzarella cheese evenly over the top.
- Bake 10-15 minutes (until golden brown on top)
- Let sit for 10 minutes before serving.
Makes 6 large servings.
Only 5.6 net carbs per serving!
These nutritional facts are estimated based on the specific ingredients I used and will vary if any are substituted. I like to use the MyFitnessPal app to get an accurate reading on macro and calorie count. It really comes in handy when tracking carbs.
New to the ketogenic lifestyle? Well then, I invite you to check out The Keto Beginning, an A-M-A-Z-I-N-G program developed by Leanne Vogel (a bonafide nutritionist!). Join the small village of people Leanne has helped to embrace low carb living!