As with any great holiday stuffing dish, quality ingredients along with the herb and spice combination is key. This low carb stuffing recipe, originally crafted by my mentor, Leanne Vogel, checks these boxes plus some! I’ve made a few minor adjustments to it based on personal taste preferences as well as to shorten the overall prep and cooking times. Here’s a link to the original recipe.
I’ve been hosting Thanksgiving day for my extended family for about 15 years now. Back in the early days, I focused on making awesome desserts, mashed potatoes and of course, the turkey! I gave little to no attention to the stuffing. I’m actually embarrassed to say that my usual stuffing dish came from a bag or a box.
In the last 4-5 years, as my family gave up grains and eventually carbohydrates, coming up with a memorable low carb stuffing recipe became more and more important. To keep my holiday cooking responsibilities as few as possible, creating low carb options that the entire party can enjoy is a big win for me, personally!
I truly hope you enjoy this incredible stuffing recipe. Low carb, paleo or not it is amazing!
Low carb stuffing that won’t disappoint!
Only 2.5 Net Carbs per Serving!
1 loaf low-carb bread
¼ cup fresh parsley
2 tablespoons tallow, coconut oil or grass-fed butter
½ red onion (200 grams), diced
4 celery sticks (200 grams), diced
2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves
1 teaspoon dried rosemary
½ teaspoon dried ground sage
¼ teaspoon black pepper
¼ teaspoon Himalayan rock salt
¼ teaspoon ground ginger
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¾ cup beef broth
¼ cup stevia-sweetened ginger ale (soda), or additional beef broth or butter
Prepare the Bread
- Preheat the oven to 350°
- Grease casserole dish with a bit of butter or tallow
- Layout the bread on 2 cookie sheets, removing the crusts if desired
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until complete dry
- Cool for 10 minutes.
- Cut the bread into small cubes, add to large casserole dish and set aside
Putting it all together
- Leave oven heating at 350°
- Heat small skillet or saucepan on medium heat
- Cook tallow and chopped onion for 5 minutes
- Add celery, spices and herbs, cooking for another 3 minutes
- Remove from heat and toss vegetable mixture, lightly, with bread cubes
- In a small dish combine the beef broth with the stevia sweetened soda
- Poor the combined liquid over the stuffing mixture, tossing lightly
- Cover and bake for 30 mins
- Remove from oven and let cool for 10 mins before serving
These nutritional facts are estimated based on the specific ingredients I used and will vary if any are substituted. I like to use the MyFitnessPal app to get an accurate reading on macro and calorie count. It really comes in handy when tracking carbs.
New to the ketogenic lifestyle? Well then, I invite you to check out Happy Keto Body an A-M-A-Z-I-N-G program developed by Leanne Vogel (a bonafide nutritionist!). Join the small village of people Leanne has helped to embrace low carb living!
Take care and, as always, stay healthy!
P.S. - DON’T FORGET TO FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST and FACEBOOK TO GET MORE GOODIES ON NATURAL HEALTH & WELLNESS TOPICS!
*Remember to check with a healthcare professional before making changes to your diet, including the introduction of supplements.